What Do I Do if I Get in Trouble? Your Rights If You’re Suspended, Expelled, or Have Contact with Police

School Discipline

Do I have rights if I am suspended, expelled, or placed on an involuntary transfer? YES. Under the California Constitution students have the right to an education1. That means that your school cannot take your education away from you without giving you due process, or in other words, following rules that protect your rights. Please …

School Discipline Read More »

Searches of Students

Do I have the right to refuse to be searched? YES. You always have a right to refuse a search and you should make clear that a search is taking place over your objection. But you should not use physical resistance to stop a search. Can my school search me without my consent? YES, but …

Searches of Students Read More »